DRCC submission on Gender-Based Violence to Citizens Assembly March 2021
23 April 2021
Why is sexual violence an issue of gender inequality?
We will never have gender equality while sexual violence continues. Sexual violence – rape, sexual abuse, sexual harassment - occur either because of a false sense of entitlement on the part of a person or group of people who believe that they can engage in sexual acts without the consent of the other. It also occurs when a person abuses the power that they have, or believe that they have, over another person.
This submission covers:
- Solutions to the issue
- A vision of what society might look like without this violence
- What sexual violence is and covers
- Effects of sexual violence
- The culture surrounding sexual violence
- Sexual violence and young people.
It was submitted to the Citizens Assembly on Gender equality on 13 March 2021.